22 January 2009

Dr. Evil and Aretha's hat

Am I a horrible person for being unable to resist the impulse to blog about Cheney leaving the inauguration in a wheelchair? There's just something too poetic about the image of him being wheeled away, clutching his cane, while the vigorous, youthful Obama's stood on the Capitol steps to see the Bushes off in their helicopter. I can't say I buy the story about hurting his back while moving boxes, either. Maybe moving boxes of documents to the shredder, but I doubt he was actually hauling around his dishes. Perhaps a more plausible scenario is that the demon that was possessing him for the last eight years has fled back to it's hell dimension, leaving his body weakened and bent. OK, that was definitely out of line....

But what else can I say about yesterday's historic inauguration that hasn't already been said? That hasn't already been said by the New York Times alone, which included a separate section in its print edition today titled "President Obama." I wonder if this will become a permanent part of the paper. "Hon, I'll trade you the Business section for the President Obama section if you're done with it." Still, reading those two words together without an intruding "-elect" in the middle brought a big smile to my face.

My other major highlight of the inauguration (other than the obvious) would have to be Aretha Franklin's hat. The Queen of Soul got style.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Beau said...

I was glad to see that the Supreme Court Justice got the blame for messing up the oath and that no one took it upon themselves to make up the President's "first fumble."

1/23/2009 12:46 AM

 
Blogger Mark said...

I think it's funny that they had a do-over a couple days ago. I guess it's best to be safe! I'd hate for Joe Biden to become president over a technicality.

1/29/2009 3:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home