04 January 2009

Local TV blackout

My Minnesota Vikings have one of their biggest games in a while this afternoon, with their first trip to the playoffs in four years. Unfortunately, the NFL blackout rules apply in our home for a very simple reason -- we don't have TV.

Anne and I have always persisted stubbornly without cable/satellite TV. This worked out relatively well in Oakland. We could get most of the major networks (although the time that NBC moved its transmitter right before the Olympics was pretty annoying) plus a handful of local channels that showed things like Cantonese news and Cheaters. We figured this was entertainment enough, so we never plunked down the extra money for cable.

Things changed when we moved to Vermont. We could no longer rely on getting a signal with our set-top rabbit ears. I've heard rumors of getting PBS in Poultney, but haven't had any luck myself. Nevertheless, we decided to save the money and go without TV. Now it's not like we're those people who condescendingly say "Well, we don't watch TV" because the truth is we watch a lot of TV. We just have to watch it all on DVD. Like a lot of our neighbors, we are now devoted Netflix subscribers. This works out pretty well because it's about half the price of cable, and we get to choose what we want to watch. Especially now that Watch Instantly is available for the Mac, it's almost like having live TV coming into our house. OK, not quite, but it's getting there.

But that still leaves us in the cold when it comes to live sports. I had to "watch" the Vikings finally clinch a playoff spot against the Giants with ESPN's ridiculous Gamecast, and had to put Matt and Cascade through the same to watch their beloved Beavers in the Sun Bowl last week. If you think football is slow and boring, try watching it this way. Unfortunately, the local pub is closed on Sunday and Monday (prime football watching days), so I have seen very little football since I moved here.

[A funny thing happened to us shortly after we moved here related to our lack of TV. I got a call from AC Nielsen asking us to track our TV watching. I told the woman that we didn't have TV reception, so our data wouldn't be too useful. She seemed a bit bemused, but said to go ahead and complete the survey anyway. Now I've always wanted to be a Nielsen family and help influence which shows stay on the air and which get cancelled. I'm convinced that if I'd been tracking my TV viewing a couple years ago, Arrested Development would still be on the air. (Not that it would do me any good without television.) My stepdad suggested I fill out the form in the spirit of OJ Simpson: this is what I would have watched had I watched TV. Instead, I just left all of the time slots blank and sent it back. Anne and I were paid $20 for our trouble, which seemed like a pretty fair compensation.]

There's a big TV antenna on top of our barn, and if I ever get the motivation, I might actually try to see if I can get it to work. We went ahead and got one of the government-subsidized digital converters for our analog TV, so we're poised to have television in our home again. In the meantime, Anne and I will make the trip up to Rutland and the nearest sports bar to watch this afternoon's game. Skol, Vikings!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have a treat for you guys. As long as you guys have high speed internet, there is this bitchin' site called hulu.com. It has most the network shows and even some cable shows. Streaming is pretty damn fast. I use this all the time to catch up on programs I like while waiting for the kids at swim practice. Seriously cool.

Better yet for you, it has PBS. As for sports, which we really don't watch, you can pick up some condensed college football games, golf, etc. You would probably want that live, right? did I mention we don't want sports? Heh!

Check it out for PBS at least. Beau can tell you that there's this cable thingy that we can hook up my laptop to our flat screen and watch in on our TV if we want too.

Really technically. I know. Get a cable thingy. Heh!

Happy New Year!

1/04/2009 5:08 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for the tips. We've had hulu recommended to us a couple times, although we haven't actually watched anything on it. We usually have a couple of those nagging red envelopes from Netflix sitting by our TV, so we watch DVDs instead. We've been getting caught up on our netflicking over the break, though, so this might be the time to give hulu a try.

And I didn't know about PBS' website, so thanks for the tip. Anne and I love Frontline, and I just checked and saw that you can stream just about every episode.

I'll check into the cable thingy, and Happy New Year to you, too!

1/06/2009 10:58 PM

 
Blogger Kyle said...

I feel your pain, man. I'm going on seven years of having no access to live sports. Usually, it's no big deal, but three times during the year -- NFL, MLB, and NBA playoff time -- I get the urge to order cable. I find a deep breath, and a sympathetic TV-owning friend or pub-owner, and the crisis usually passes.

Oh, and now that the Bruins are doing so well, I suspect I'll get an urge come the NHL playoffs this year too.

Damn it.

1/07/2009 3:37 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

And don't forget the World Cup. You have to tell me who your sympathetic pub-owner is! :) As for hockey, my Sharks are also doing really well this year, so I'm also in the awkward position of having to find a way to watch the NHL.

1/07/2009 10:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home