04 July 2008

NPR towns

I just listened to the podcast of Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me! this morning, which broadcast live from Seattle last week. At the opening, the host quipped that, because of its coffee, bookstores, and cultural institutions, Seattle may be the "perfect public radio town." "With," he added, "apologies to Berkeley, California, and certain communes in Vermont." I had to smile because he'd just listed the last three places I've lived. (OK, so I don't live on a commune, but he needed the phrase for the sake of the punch line.) Perhaps it's no surprise, then, that I get all my news from NPR.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Beau said...

Mark - I'm not a big listener of NPR, but when I hit 2 out of 3 of those locations too, I had to give Wait, Wait a listen.

The podcast was available on my Tivo and it made for an enjoyable listen while I had my coffee this morning.

Technology is pretty cool that even though you can be on the other side of the world, you can still get so many of your "normal" things.

7/04/2008 4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's curious. When I listen to WWDTM, I often imagine your persona going along with Peter Sagal's voice. You two share a keen insight, gentle wit, and affection for antiquated phrases. Perhaps Peter has been stalking you, stealing your material. If the next dispatch comes to us from Sweden, we'll know.

7/06/2008 5:15 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Beau, glad you enjoyed the podcast. Actually, one of my first moves when I got here was to subscribe to a bunch of podcasts from the US (mainly from NPR). I also listen to KEXP a lot, which is hands-down my favorite radio station, no matter where in the world I am. The world truly is getting smaller.

Dan, that's interesting about Peter Sagal as my radio doppelganger. I appreciate that you assume it's him stealing my material and not the other way around. I'll be on the lookout for any Sweden-themed jokes in the next couple weeks, just in case.

7/07/2008 9:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home