31 August 2008

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Just as the afterglow of Obama's convention speech was fading, I greeted the McCain camp's announcement of Sarah Palin as their VP pick with a bit of bemusement. I felt a little badly for the Republicans, having to elbow their way into the media spotlight between the Democratic convention and their own, with the Olympics still a recent memory. I have to say that, while I was desperately hoping for Mitt Romney because he's always good for a laugh, I was kind of surprised by their pick.

The Republicans continuously harp on Obama for his perceived lack of experience. And yet they've chosen a vice president whose political experience is briefer than Obama's. I heard someone on the radio this morning attempting to defend her lack of experience in politics by saying that she's always "been interested in current events." I guess that means reading the newspaper qualifies you for the job that's a hearbeat away from the presidency.

That said, I think experience is a bit overrated. What's more important to me is leadership ability and judgment. I can't say much for governor Palin's leadership ability, although I do have to respect her for taking on the old guard of Alaska Republicans. But I really have to question her judgment after seeing the bewildering names of her children (Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper, and Trig). Now, I've got nothing against Willow, as she was one of my favorite characters on Buffy (at least until the sixth season, although I don't think the last two seasons should really count. But I digress....) I find it particularly interesting that two of her children are in fact named after TV witches. Perhaps someone should start a chain email claiming that she's a pagan. I'm not sure if that's better or worse in the American public consciousness than being labeled a Muslim.

One final note: I think the Republicans are making a bit of a mistake if they've picked a younger VP to try to deflect some of the reservations people have about McCain's age. Choosing someone who governs a state that's younger than John McCain may just backfire.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Heh! I wrote about this on Friday. I think it's definitely a strategic move. She's a foil that will bite the Democrats in the butt and at the same time get the religious right all riled.

I've already seen the foil work on a couple of news stations I watched yesterday. Here was my post:

"Go soccer moms of the world.

I am still digesting Palin. Wow! Sarah? Not Elizabeth Dole. Not Condi? What could it mean?

I sit here and I think. and think. and think.

Then, I realize her choice is a foil. Not for McCain, but to highlight Obama's shortcomings.

If the O/B tickets points out her inexperience, it highlights Obama's. In fact she has more "executive experience" than the entire Democratic ticket.

If they point out gender, we are reminded that Obama was a fool not to choose Hillary.

If they point out McCain's health/age and the fact Palin could easily being in charge, we see that Obama's choice of experience , by choosing Biden, has had two brain aneurysms.

If they point out her inexperience with war, we see she has the most to lose sending her son to Iraq soon. She won't make decisions lightly.

They point out her age, we see Obama is a mere two years older.

If they compare Biden's experience to Palin's, Palin's outsider status and report card of reform makes her more the agent of this "change" over choosing a 36 year senator with six consecutive terms who received less than 1 % of the primary vote over Hillary. Now who is the sexist? Now who's judgment is in question? Now who's temperament--cutting off his nose to spite his face--is in question?

Palin is integrity. She is grit. She is an outsider. She is a reformist. She once worked successful in an energy committee with Barack and received his praise. She is a mother of five--one with special needs. She is an union worker. She is the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket. She might just help blow O/B out of the water.

Wow! McCain the maverick is back! Shaking up what people thought of him. What a torpedo. He just pulled all the attention from DNC and put it on Sarah without spending one campaign dollar. Crafty!

I'm still thinking...but there's a smile on my face, my friends."

So, like you, a Dem pundit mentioned on one show that with her inexperience, she "was a heartbeat away from the presidency." Fired right back at him was Obama's "inexperience" and HE WAS THE HEARTBEAT.

Heh! As for her inexperience, again she has more executive experience that all three of those men put together. Heck, of Obama's short years, a huge amount of time has been spent campaigning. Do we want a president that campaign's well and is the world's best chocolate milk peddler? Or some one who has actually spent time in the senate being a senator?


Finally, a pundit mentioned she should stay home with her special needs baby. You don't think that will rile Hillary Dems even if they don't agree with her?

Again, purely strategic, but you can't buy coverage like this.

The comments from my post are even more interesting since I have readers with some very different opinions that mine.

Enjoy!:)

~Heather/Scout

8/31/2008 6:26 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Heh! I almost forgot. I liked her kids' names. This coming from someone who named her daughter a slightly masculine name.

As for witches, which ones? I a bit older than you and admit I only watched Buffy intermittenly the first year.

8/31/2008 6:43 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Thanks for the comment, Heather. I was actually hoping you'd leave a comment. I'd seen your post on Friday, and I was crafting a response when I got distracted by her kids' names, which led instead to my snarkier post on my own blog. I've put a lengthier reply on your blog, but I thought I would at least address the witch question here. Willow was on Buffy, and Piper was one of the witches on Charmed. I think she was Jennifer Love Hewitt's character.

Thanks for dropping by!

9/01/2008 5:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still laughing now? I ain't. Obama, McCain, and Palin all came to Lancaster this week. I saw them both, which was an extraordinary opportunity. It was also extraordinarily depressing. How does the phrase "President Palin" sound to you? Like the end of the fu***in world to me.

9/12/2008 2:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home