12 July 2007

Blasts from the past

We went up to Reno last weekend to see the family one last time before we head off to Vermont and to empty a storage unit full of my old stuff. My mom put a lot of my things in there when she moved to Vegas 10 years ago, and I felt it was about time to clear it out. Luckily I was able to pawn some of it off on my cousin and nieces and donate some of it to charity, leaving us with just enough stuff to fit in our rental car. Some of the treasures I found were:

Star Wars toys and Transformers
I was able to pawn these off on a 6-year old cousin. Hopefully he appreciates the Transformers now that it's the movie du jour.

A wooden elephant on wheels
I've had this thing since I was an infant. It was one of my favorite toys when I was a kid, and I was really happy to rediscover it.

A bunch of old coins, including a pile of pesos from before Mexico devalued its currency about 10 years ago. I think each peso is worth about 1/10,000th of a dollar now.

A Re/Max realty poster signed by the 1980(?) Oakland Raiders. Cliff Branch! Sweet.

A bunch of football pennants, including one from the (USFL) Oakland Invaders.

Leggos!

Osmium bear

A big pile of books, including a bunch of role-playing games. I have an incredible urge to play some Dungeons & Dragons right now.

A stuffed pterodactyl.

A bag of shredded money I bought at the US Treasury on a field trip to Washington DC when I was in seventh grade.

A lot of the things were in the same category as the last one, and I didn't feel too badly getting rid of them. But I still managed to keep one box of keepsakes plus the Leggos (of course) and some books. I imagine there's still some stuff I can get rid of (anyone need five years worth of Mad magazine?), but I see what's left having a bright future sitting on a shelf in my basement.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't give your cousins the Mad magazines? Those were among my favorites of all the books and magazines we ever inherited from our older cousins. Mad taught me to love off-color humor! I was only about 8 or 9 when we got this haul from them too.

7/13/2007 8:06 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Unfortunately I don't have any relatives who are the right age; it seems like my cousin might be a little young at 6. I could give them to my 9-year old niece, but I'm worried about sowing discord among my other nieces because I already gave her some other stuff and all the other girls got were some old T-shirts.

7/14/2007 3:15 AM

 
Blogger Beau said...

I bought Alec a Mad magazine when I was at an airport. I don't remember it as being so off-color.

This issue pushed boundaries, as it was right after the Brittany Spears' crotch shots went public.

I still have (or maybe they've transfered to my kids) my Lego's and Star Wars action figures and GI Joes. I never had any transformers (but I just saw the movie and it was pretty good!).

7/14/2007 5:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home