29 May 2007

Brush with fame

We went up to see Anne's mom in Brewster this past weekend. Anne threw her a surprise birthday/retirement party, which went really well. She didn't suspect a thing, and all sorts of people came from out of town to wish her well (including my parents, who came all the way from Vegas). The party was on Saturday afternoon, so we flew up early on Saturday morning. And on our flight from Oakland to Seattle was none other than Gift of Gab from Blackalicious!

I first noticed him when we got into the security line in Oakland, and I was pretty sure it was him, but not certain. We confirmed it was him after overhearing him talking music with someone he met at the gate in Seattle. The two of them met up with someone else, who I think was DJ Shadow. I'm assuming they were all going to the Sasquatch Music Festival in George. A little later, I saw him head off to the food court on his own. I kind of wanted to go up to him, but I wasn't quite sure what to say. "Excuse me ... Mr. Gab? I'm, like, your biggest fan." This is probably my closest brush with fame (except possibly when Krist Novoselic's dog licked my face), but I figured he didn't want to be bothered so I left him be. A friend of a friend, who is a huge Cure fan, once found himself in an elevator with Robert Smith and dropped an "I'm your biggest fan" on him. I didn't want to be that guy, so I just let Gab go about getting his breakfast.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home