16 February 2007

Once More With Feeling

Warning: for my first post in a couple weeks, I'll be channeling my inner geek. You've been warned.

We don't often get out on weeknights these days, but last night the Parkway had a Buffy mini-marathon, so we had to go. This was the second or third of the Parkway's monthly Joss Whedon nights, and the first we'd been able to make it to. They showed "Once More with Feeling," "Tabula Rasa," and "Hush." (And if that means anything to you, then you would have fit right in.)

It was of a lot of fun to see Buffy in a larger than life format, especially in a crowded theater. But it was also an interesting cultural experience because the Buffy-night really brought out the geeks. When the opening credits of the first episode rolled, Anne leaned over to me and whispered "I feel like I belong!" There was a huge crowd when we arrived an hour before it started, and we were actually worried we weren't going to get in. The show had sold out about 15 minutes before we got there, and some people had gotten in line over 2 hours earlier. Luckily, they managed to find room for us and maybe 20 more people. We were in a row of chairs up against the back of the theater, and we had to use a box that Anne found in a hallway to hold our pizza and beer, but at least we got in.

Here are some highlights, mainly for my Buffy-geek readers:

Everyone hissing when Michelle Trachtenberg showed up during the opening credits.

During Anya's solo about bunnies, someone pelted members of the audience with stuffed rabbits. It was a little Rocky Horror, but I can't complain because we came away with a nice, plush Peter Rabbit.

The scene in "Hush" where Giles uses transparencies to describe how they're going to deal with the Gentlemen. I think it's my favorite scene in all of Buffy.

The guy in the Sunnydale High shirt standing next to me in the food line casually telling a friend that he'd "come with two Willows."

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few things here.

-I also own a Sunnydale High t-shirt. As the years pass, the t-shirt becomes more and more cool. I got it for 10 bucks, and it may be the best 10 bucks I've ever spent.

-I also love the transparencies scene. really enjoy SMGs work during that scene with the stabby motions.

Mark, "I'm under your spell!"
-Rog

2/17/2007 2:03 AM

 
Blogger Mark said...

The stabby motions are the best, with a close second being Xander cupping his hands and mouthing the word "boobies." You've given me T-shirt envy, Rog.

2/21/2007 7:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home