05 June 2007

Last weeks in the 'O'

The move to Vermont is coming up soon (just under two months), so Anne and I took some time this weekend to cross a few things off of our "Things to do in the Bay Area before we leave" list. Saturday we headed down to Jack London Square to catch a movie. OK, so they have movie theaters in Vermont. In fact, we'll probably be able to drive to Rutland and the nearest multiplex in less time than we sat waiting for the bus to downtown. But one thing they don't have in Rutland County is Everett & Jones, home to some of the finest barbecue in Oakland -- possibly the world, but I'm trying not to be too parochial -- so it was a must-visit before we leave. They serve up the traditional meat and three (except that it's actually only a meat and two), and I had a huge pile of ribs slathered in their special bbq sauce, some greens, and a side of yams that could have doubled as a dessert. Anne managed to eat half a chicken. We were feeling a little loagy when we got to the theater. (We saw "Knocked Up," which was hilarious.)

Saturday we crossed another outing off of our list when we went to dim sum in Oakland's Chinatown. (Have you noted a strong bias toward eating on our list?) We'd never been to Legendary Palace before, but I'd say it delivered. My all-time, dim sum favorites, the pork bun and the fried red bean dumpling (I don't know what it's called, but it's heavenly), were particularly good. It was a nice, sunny day so we walked home via Lake Merritt.

There's still quite a bit on the list, although Thai temple breakfast is going to get checked off next Sunday. I'm a little more concerned about the live music-related items because they depend on bands we like coming through town. But I know that live hip hop is going to be hard to come by in Vermont, so we'll make an effort to go see a show before we leave. And of course, there's nowhere quite like Yoshi's, so we've got to try to make it there as well.

I'm really looking forward to starting my new job this fall, and I think living in Vermont is going to be fun. But as far as I'm concerned, there's nowhere quite like Oakland, and we're going to try to enjoy living here as much as we can over the next couple months. Any recommendations for must-sees from current or former Bay Area residents?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you're making me jealous and sad :(

If you can make it down to Palo Alto, try Cho's dim sum on...shoot....what's the street? Here you go.(http://www.yelp.com/biz/W26Y0nZLUHLEU-bHSieiuw)
Awesome pot stickers and pork buns (steamed)

Maybe take a tour of the Anchor Brewery in SF if you haven't done that yet? Really incredible location. Only available on weekdays.

At this point you know the East Bay so much better than I do, so other than Cho's and Anchor (and the Toronado in SF of course, but I think you already know that), I got nothin' for ya man.

-Roger

6/05/2007 9:54 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Ah, the Toronado. I don't get up to that part of the city very often, but it might be worth a special trip. Maybe I'll pop into the Groove Merchant while I'm up there....

I've never been on the Anchor Brewery tour. I was planning on playing hooky tomorrow; maybe I'll check it out.

6/05/2007 11:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a post my friend Cindy wrote about the Thai brunch in Berkeley: http://www.foodmigration.com/2005/02/thai-brunch-in-berkeley.html. She used to maintain a site all about the Thai brunch, but I think she's taken it down. I've never been, but it's a good candidate for your must-eat list. If I were you, I would load up on pastries from The Cheese Board over in the good old Gourmet Ghetto. At the moment, that's all I can think of. We always try to hit up Chez Panisse or the Chez Panisse Cafe (arguably better) whenever we're in town, but I don't know if you guys would be interested in that. I'll give it some more thought!

6/06/2007 3:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home