25 June 2007

Prideful weekend

This past weekend was SF Pride, and it marked the first time Anne and I actually made it to the parade. We only stayed for the first hour, but it was pretty fun. It wasn't nearly as crowded as I'd feared (one of the main reasons we've never gone before), although the BART trains coming into the city when we were heading home were pretty full. Some of the highlights: Dykes on Bikes, who always open the parade, the people covered in balloons, and Gavin Newsom, grinning and waving from the back of a convertible. I'd never seen him in person before. He's every bit as slick as I'd heard. And that hair!

We left in time to get home for the CONCACAF final. In case you missed it, the US won, 2-1. It was a very tense game, especially during the last few minutes. It would have been a little less tense if Damarcus Beasley hadn't clanged a shot on an empty net off of the crossbar as time was winding down. I don't know about that guy.

We also went into the city on Saturday to cash in some free tickets I won from the SFJazz fest. We saw Ojos de Brujo and Carlinhos Brown. Ojos are a collective from Barcelona, and they reminded me a bit of Ozomatli if you replace salsa with flamenco as their traditional music touchstone. They were pretty good, and I think I'm going to get their CD.



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home