21 June 2007

What, no Fleetwood Mac?

Yesterday Hillary Clinton's campaign announced its official theme song. After online voters chose from among 10 campaign-vetted choices, the results are in and the official song for Hillary '08 is: You and I by Celine Dion

I'm not sure how much more the Clinton campaign can descend into farce at this point. Or maybe it just underscores what a farce our political system has become, when a bland, Canadian crooner (crooness?) is enlisted as warm-up music for the left's front-runner. At least it shows she's got the middle-aged, white lady vote sewn up. My confidence in her ability to clean up Bush's messes wanes by the day.

During the report I heard on NPR yesterday, they played clips of a few other contenders, including "Beautiful Day" by U2 and some patriotic rocker by Shania Twain. One of the odder choices on the list was the Police's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic." You know how it goes: "Every little thing she does is magic" Alright, maybe promising a bit much, but I can see where they're coming from. "Every little thing she do just turns me on" Whoa! That's a little ... icky. I'm not sure that you're supposed to be turned on by your president. Unless it's Barack Obama. Hot!

Here's the complete list:

KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See
Shania Twain - Rock This Country!
U2 - Beautiful Day
The Temptations - Get Ready
Smash Mouth - I'm A Believer
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way?
McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Celine Dion - You and I
Tina Turner - The Best

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. I thought Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" was on the list. Or was that just what they used in the video because it was on the Sopranos episode they spoofed? (I actually don't know since I don't watch The Sopranos, but I read something in the NYTimes.)

6/21/2007 6:47 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think maybe the Tina Turner would work best. Agree that the Police song in question would be squicky..."I resolve to call her up / 1000 times a day / and ask her if she'll marry me / in some old-fashioned way"

ewwwwww

6/22/2007 7:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home