11 June 2007

A mosquito, my libido

Have you noticed that each decade gets linked to one or two particular kinds of music? When you think of 50's music, you think doo-wop and early rock 'n' roll. For the 60's, you think psychedelic rock, and for the 70's it's classic rock or disco. Sure, there was a lot of other music from each of those decades, but those seem to be the genres that each decade is stuck with. But what about the 90's?

This was on my mind after we had a little music swap with Dan and Kristina. I burned them a copy of "Return to the Inner Experience" by Sky Cries Mary, which prompted Dan to make the comment that they sound like the "zenith of 90's music." That got me thinking: "what exactly is 90's music, anyway?" I think everyone has an idea of what constitutes 80's music -- it invariably is the sonic equivalent of hairspray and bright, primary colors. Interestingly, I can't think of an equivalently unifying theme for music from the nineties. It's interesting that there isn't even a subset of music from the nineties that's called "90's music" that I'm aware of.

When I think of music from the nineties, I think of grunge, in part because I lived in the northwest during it's overdose-ridden decline, and in part because it was so ubiquitous in the early 90's. The nineties also strike me as the point where hip hop crossed over into the mainstream, for better (A Tribe Called Quest, Doggystyle) and worse (Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer).

One genre that really rose to prominence in the nineties, which seems a little quaint now, was electronic music. Do you remember when electronica was the next big thing? At one point, I saw an article in Time or Newsweek saying the future of music was electronic. It seemed like only a couple months later, the Chemical Brothers were getting knocked off the charts by N'Sync and Britney. Anyway, musing about electronic music brings me back to Dan's comment. Sky Cries Mary combined a bit of the grunge ethic (they're from Seattle, they play distorted guitars, and they draw their influences from the early seventies), a bit of hip hop (this one's a bit of a stretch, but they did have a DJ who was, for the most part, buried in the mix), and of course electronic music. I've not seen any compilations attempting to tie together the 90's as a concept (not that I've really looked), but I can naively hope that any such compilation would include SCM. Compilers of "NOW That's What I Call Music By Bands That Played My College Once!" take note.

Here is a list of bands that popped into my head while I was thinking about this post and that I probably haven't thought of in nearly a decade:

House of Pain
Blind Melon
The Spin Doctors
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Orbital
The Screaming Trees
Moist

If you can't get enough of the 90's, and you're a fan of lists, you should check out Pitchfork's top 100 albums of the 90's. True to their raison d'etre, there's a lot of indie rock -- I hadn't even heard of some of the bands in the top 20. I do, however, wholeheartedly agree with their pick for no. 1. Check and see if you do, too.

Speaking of lists, here's the super-dope 90's mix that I put on my CD player while writing this post:
Sky Cries Mary - This Timeless Turning
Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
The Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
A Tribe Called Quest - Beats, Rhymes, and Life
The Breeders - Last Splash

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Beau said...

I was thinking about a similar topic, music that has that lasting power. I was driving to the airport (for a one day business trip, thinking self-important thoughts) and the Beatsie Boys came on the radio.

I remember listening to them in shop class in middle school.

What is the music that my kids are listening to today that has that 20 year holding power? Britnney? My Chemical Romance? Is there any viable contender?

I'm not really sure.

6/11/2007 6:33 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you've done a pretty good job encapsulating the 90s with...

-grunge/alternative (god remember "alternative"?)
-broadening hip-hop
-electronic(a)

You mention something about electronic being the next big thing that never happened, but I've been thinking about this a lot over the past few years, and I think electronic totally "made it", but not in the way that anyone expected. If you think about it, everyone from Madonna to Britney to Justin Timberlake uses electronic music in their instrumental tracks. It's hard to find a commercial that doesn't have an electronic music element. It's there, it just got (in totally American fashion) subsumed and appropriated by popular culture. Same kind thing with hip-hop.

What I really enjoy is the recent resurgence of classic rock/proto-metal. Wolfmother, for example, is pretty cool. Good take on an old style.

I could talk about this for hours :)
-Roger

6/11/2007 6:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't read the full list, but I was surprised at the bands they listed that didn't make the cut. Hopefully they left Jesus Jones on there. ;) OK Computer, however, is still one of my favorites! I listened to it on the walk to and from my eye doctor's office last week. It's especially great rainy day music!

6/11/2007 9:54 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Beau, I agree that not a lot current of music is going to be remembered fondly in 20 years. (And a lot of it, like My Chemical Romance, basically rips off music that's 20-30 years old, anyway.) That said, I think there is some good, new music out there, it's just not on Top 40 radio (but when was it?). A couple of bands/artists from the aughts that I think might still be enjoyable in 20 years are the Decemberists and Neko Case. I'm currently obsessed with Peter Bjorn and John, although it remains to be seen if I'll still be into them in five years.

Roger, excellent point about electronic music. In fact, I think hip-hop has done a pretty good job of absorbing electronic sounds, too. Some of El-P's stuff reminds me of Aphex Twin. I've been a bit wary of Wolfmother, although it's reassurig to see you give them your stamp of approval. I've been pretty into Mastodon lately. They really bring the riffin' heat. (It's also cool to see Slayer and Megadeth both debuting new albums in the top 10 recently. Sweet!)

Chloe, man, I don't think I've thought of Jesus Jones in a long time! I don't remember if they made the list :-) I could probably listen to OK Computer once a week for the rest of my life and not get sick of it.

As you all can see, I can talk about this for hours, too....

6/12/2007 12:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home