09 November 2007

An embarrassment of riches

A while back I wrote a post about how there are some bands that I will buy anything from the day it comes out. No waiting for critical reviews or listening to samples on iTunes. These are the bands that I know and trust to deliver solid records every time. The past couple weeks have seen two of those bands on my list put out new albums, and I couldn't be happier!

The first was the much-ballyhooed In Rainbows from Radiohead. (I paid £4, in case you're curious.) And yes, it's as awesome as everyone says. Of course they could record Thom Yorke farting into a paper bag and I would think it was the greatest thing I'd heard all year. That is except when ...

... Sigur Rós puts out a double-album! Their new album is one disc of cutting-room floor outtakes and one disc of live, acoustic versions of all your favorite hits, recorded while touring the far corners of Iceland. It just arrived today, and I'm in heaven -- even if I have to put up with abuse from Anne that all their songs sound like whales singing :)

I've had a pretty intense workload lately, especially since an online class I'm teaching just started up this week. It's nice to have new music to get me through the day!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Bracken said...

Speaking of riches, Daddy thought you'd like to know that Peets is well-established in the Boston area--he saw two coffee shops on a recent expedition to Cambridge and Brookline--and the grocery store in Marblehead sells Peets whole beans. The Stop 'n' Shop in Swampscott only has ground Peets, which Daddy thinks is pretty silly. The price may even be slightly less than in the Bay Area, which may be because people here still think that Dunkin' Donuts coffee tastes good.

11/14/2007 4:14 AM

 
Blogger Mark said...

Sweeeet! Boston just keeps getting cooler and cooler!

11/16/2007 1:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home