12 April 2006

Bush is in deep ...

Last night I was talking to my dad on the phone, and our conversation veered to politics. What makes this noteworthy is that it marks probably the first time that he and I have ever agreed on a political topic. Anne thinks it's a sign of the End Times, so I hope you all have been living upright lives.

The conversation started off inauspiciously with my dad grumbling about the "Mexican march" in Reno yesterday. I was able to get him to concede that making felons out of undocumented workers was a bit punitive, and from there the conversation veered into an unexpected place. He started saying how disappointed he is with Bush and what a terrible job he's doing, specifically criticizing our involvement in Iraq. He then brought up how ridiculous he thought the administration's recently-outed plans to bomb Iran were. For those of you who've met my dad, you realize what a revelation this is. He's the man who thinks that Reagan was the greatest president we've ever had, with whom I would continuously argue with over dinner (to my sisters' dismay) when I was in high school, and who suggested we should turn the whole Middle East "to glass" shortly after 9/11. But my dad is a product of his generation, and he sees echoes of Vietnam in the mess in Iraq. The poll figures are showing Bush's plummeting popularity, but if he's even lost guys like my dad, it's worse for him than I'd realized.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that Bush's 'strongly disapprove' ratings are higher than any other president. Let's watch the Democrats blow this gift from the heavens.
-Tad

4/18/2006 4:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

5/24/2006 7:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home