20 March 2006

I'm #132,350!

So the first weekend of the world's greatest sports event (sorry, soccer fans) just ended, and my bracket at ESPN.com stands at a lofty 132,350th place. On a more positive note, I squeaked into first place in my local pool, for which I give all credit to the Wichita State Shockers. I didn't even know this school existed a week and half ago (which is one of the beauties of the NCAA tournament), but how can you bet ... er, select solely for entertainment purposes ... against a team named the Shockers? It's like they're in the XFL or a WNBA expansion team. I'm sure by next weekend, I'll be back in the lower echelons of my pool, and into the septuple digits in the ESPN pool, but it's nice to be on top for a few days.

The first weekend certainly had its moments, including my discovery of the productivity-sapping live streams of the games. I have to say I'm pretty bummed about Nevada and Cal both losing their first games. But I'm happy that UConn, my choice to win it all, didn't get knocked out in the first round by the Great Danes of Albany. I thought they only excelled at running around in a fountain in their underwear. Adam, you've been holding out on me.

Oh, and in case you're curious, the World Cup comes in at third on my list of world's greatest sports events, just behind the Winter Olympics, though that ranking will probably change come June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home