27 March 2006

Eu gosto de capoeira

I started taking a capoeira class a couple weeks ago through the university fitness center. I first got interested when we were in Brazil last summer, where we saw a lot of people doing capoeira in public squares and markets. After we got back, I thought it would be fun to try, but I put off taking a class for a long time because all of the people we saw doing it in Brazil were very agile and athletic, which I am not. There's a school on our street, and although I picked up a schedule, I never got around to going to a class. But, when I saw that there's a class offered throught the Cal fitness center, I thought it might be low key enough to try.

So far the class has been a lot of fun. I've realized that part of the reason those people looked so agile and athletic was because they do capoeira a lot, and that it's ok to be clumsy and uncoordinated at the beginning. Which is good, because there have been times where I've felt completely inept. The other concern I had was that I would be in a lot of pain afterward. It's definitely been a good workout, but not quite as painful as I'd feared. That's not to say that I haven't been sore the next day (or the day after that) but it's getting better. Nevertheless, I'm much more aware of the area where my femur meets my pelvis than I was a couple weeks ago. It's kind of like the first trip skiing of the season after each class. We've got next week off because of spring break, which will be a nice rest, but I'm looking forward to starting up again after the break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home