10 August 2007

The Woolite Cooler

Four or five years ago before a trip abroad, I bought some travel-size packets of Woolite. The packets were in a bag that was stapled shut by a small cardboard label used to hang the bag on a display rack.


When I got the Woolite home and pulled off the cardboard tag, I discovered a hidden drink recipe. I don't know who wrote it or how it got onto the inside of my travel Woolite label, but it was quite a serendipitous find. However, as much as I was intrigued by the mystery recipe, I was reluctant to try it because it included raspberry liqueur. I wasn't sure it was worth buying something I was sure would taste like cough syrup just to make a drink I found on a package of Woolite.


Even though I never made the drink, I've kept the recipe all this time on the off chance that I would eventually make it. Last night, Anne and I were strategizing our post-move restock of the liquor cabinet, and we decided now would be the time to try it. So I bought a bottle of raspberry liqueur on the way home from my office this afternoon and we made it tonight to celebrate another day of diligent unpacking.

The drink, which I have dubbed the Woolite Cooler, was pretty good. It was a bit tart, and it would probably be better with a homemade sweet and sour mix, but overall it was a keeper. Yes, it tastes a little like cough syrup, but in an "I could drink quite a few of these" kind of way. I think it's a keeper, and I'm glad I held onto the recipe for so long.

So if you want to make your own Woolite Cooler, here's the recipe:

1 shot white tequila
1 shot raspberry liqueur
1/2 shot sweet & sour
1 shot cranberry

My label didn't have any directions for mixing/serving the drink, so I mixed it with ice in a shaker then strained into chilled martini glasses. I'm curious to hear any variations you might try. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such a cool story! I actually have one of those bags of Woolite! It was the only time I ever brought detergent on a trip. (I bought it for our one-month trip to Portugal, wherein I had only one backpack's worth of stuff and really needed that detergent.) I think I still have a couple packets in the bag with the LABEL STILL ATTACHED that I must check out forthwith! Maybe I'll have a secret drink recipe too or something equally cool.

8/11/2007 12:11 AM

 
Blogger Beau said...

That is a cool story! I don't have any raspberry liqueur, but this is the kind of thing that would make go out and get some.

I'll let you know how we like it!

8/11/2007 12:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Interesting blog! Personally I do not do laundry myself but my maid says that Woolite is the best detergent. I myself browsed the net and on this great site www.pissedconsumer.com read more about the products offered by the company. You can look up the site and you may find a variety of other companies and customer reports.

8/13/2008 9:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home