22 May 2006

Some needed perspective from a stranger

With the lab moving to Sweden at the end of the summer, I've been working pretty frantically lately. Walking home from the bus stop on Saturday, my head was swirling with all the things I still need to do (namely, write dissertation, find postdoc), when a disheveled woman with a walker came shuffling toward me on the sidewalk. She slowed as she got near, turned, and said, "They didn't work you too hard today, did they baby?"

"Nah, they didn't," I replied.

"That's good," she said and continued on her way. I think that was a sign not to get too caught up with work. That or it was a sign that if I stop worrying about working too hard, I'll end up homeless and pushing my walker down Piedmont Avenue. I'm hoping it was the former, but maybe I'll hedge my bets and work late a couple days this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home