03 January 2006

Be it resolved ...

Happy New Year! I generally don't make New Year's resolutions. I tend to feel that if there's something about myself I'd like to change, I prefer not to wait until the end of the year to try to fix it. Also, -- and let's be honest, it's the real reason I tend not to make resolutions -- I'm abysmal at keeping them. In spite of that, I decided to make two resolutions this year, and I'm hoping that because I'm writing them here for all one of my reader to see, I'll do a better of job of maintaining them.

The first is a repeat of a resolution that I've made many times before (with varying success), which is to work out more. Even though I ride my bike to school nearly every day, I still feel a little torpid every afternoon. I think partially this is because so much of my work is sedentary and the bike ride isn't quite long enough to compensate. Since I get a cheap gym membership as a student, I really ought to take advantage of it and go lift weights or play basketball in the mornings. The spring semester is about to start, which seems like a good transition time to alter my routine.

The other resolution is to write more. I've found that I don't have very many hobbies, and that I like writing, so maybe I should carve out a little more time for it. Granted, the next year is going to be devoted to writing a lot for work because I plan on finishing my dissertation by the end of the year. But I'd also like to do more writing for fun, which is part of the reason I started this blog. I'm not sure I'm prepared to start writing short stories or anything that ambitious, especially with the aforementioned dissertation looming over me, but I at least plan on keeping a journal. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home